By Bruce C. Donaldson
The sequence builds an in depth selection of prime quality descriptions of languages all over the world. every one quantity deals a finished grammatical description of a unmarried language including totally analyzed pattern texts and, if applicable, a thesaurus and different appropriate info that's to be had at the language in query. There are not any regulations as to language kin or region, and even supposing certain consciousness is paid to hitherto undescribed languages, new and beneficial remedies of higher identified languages also are incorporated. No theoretical version is imposed at the authors; the single criterion is a excessive average of medical caliber.
Read Online or Download A Grammar of Afrikaans PDF
Best foreign language dictionaries & thesauruses books
Perform your solution to French fluency perform Makes excellent: French Verb Tenses is going past different verb books to teach you in while and why verb tenses are used. as well as an array of absolutely conjugated verbs, you will discover transparent and concise factors that pinpoint why particular tenses paintings in given occasions in addition to lots of attractive examples and various skill-building workouts.
Colloquial Indonesian: the whole path for newcomers has been conscientiously built via an skilled instructor to supply a step by step path to Indonesian because it is written and spoken this day. Combining a transparent, functional and available type with a methodical and thorough remedy of the language, it equips newcomers with the fundamental abilities had to speak hopefully and successfully in Indonesian in a large diversity of occasions.
This publication is a studying device for studying uncomplicated Italian vocabulary. it is going to assist you receive a superb base on your wisdom of the Italian language. The 3000 phrases contained during this variation will reduction on your realizing of easy words and hone your composition abilities. This guide can be a useful reference in the course of any journey in a foreign country the place the Italian language is spoken.
- A Syriac Lexicon: A Translation from the Latin, Correction, Expansion, and Update of C. Brockelmann's Lexicon Syriacum
- The Complete Idiot's Guide to Learning German
- Colloquial Croatian (Book Only)
- Webster's German to English Crossword Puzzles: Level 4
Additional info for A Grammar of Afrikaans
The consonant gh [g] Examples: ghitaar [gi'ta:r] 'guitar' (also spelt and pronounced kitaar), ghoeroe [guru] 'guru', gholf\ golf] 'golf, ghries fgrisj 'grease'. In some loanwords that enjoy official recognition, [g] is written gh to distinguish it from [xj. 8. g. Djakarta, djihad 'holy war' (Arabicy't/iarf). e. g. tydjie [toici] 'a little while'. jokkie [joci]. 9. The consonant ps [ps] or [s] Examples: psigies [psixis] or [sixis] 'psychic', but only psalm [pasabm]. Words of Greek origin beginning withps are usually pronounced fps] but some speakers simplify the cluster to [s], which is considered standard Afrikaans.
3. e. g. amnestie (also amnestie), anargie, burokrasie, demokrasie, ekonomie, energie, ensiklopedie, geologic, kompromie, masßnerie, simpatie, Strategie. 1). Note: histerektomie fits into neither group and is stressed as in English. 4. g. adventis(te), alkoholis(te), individualistic), joernalis(te), motoris(te), rassis(te). g. indiuidualisme, joemalisme, rassisme. g. kommunisties, rassisties. 5. Agent nouns ending in -ikus There are many nouns denoting agents derived from the Latin ending -ikus in the singular, but -ici (pronounced [isi]) in the plural.
This sound might also be transcribed as [03J if one chose to see the second element as a glide. In addition to applying this breaking or off-glide, there is a slight tendency ω The only exception to this is in the Boland where ee and oo are not broken but raised to [i:] and [u:j respectively. 2 for the raising of the vowel in ek, which is also typical of the Boland. De Villiers (1987: 94) comments that this so-called Bolandse verhoging is no longer as widespread in the Western Cape as it was, as a result of large scale urbanisation, and that it has become stigmatised.
- Hittite Etymological Dictionary, Volume 6: Words Beginning by Jaan Puhvel
- Bad Feminist: Essays by Roxane Gay